Hebrews 13:1-8, 15-16
13:1 Let mutual love continue.
13:2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.
13:3 Remember those who are in prison, as though you were in prison with them; those who are being tortured, as though you yourselves were being tortured.
13:4 Let marriage be held in honor by all, and let the marriage bed be kept undefiled; for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.
13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have; for he has said, “I will never leave you or forsake you.”
13:6 So we can say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?”
13:7 Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.
13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
13:15 Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name.
13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
This passage paints a picture of what it means to be a faithful child of God. Furthermore, it also gives us a picture of the true faithful nature of God and the example we ought to follow. The first half of the chapter dictates to us how we we ought to practically live out being faithful and the second shows us how God remains faithful towards us regardless of our actions.
Our role as faithful Christians (vs 1-5)
- Love is to always reign in our hearts. As Christians love is true portrayal of being inhibiting Christ-likeness in our hearts.
- Always be welcoming to those who perhaps are lonely or are new. There are always those who are in need of someone to reach out to them. Our role as Christians is to always reach out to those who are either in need or do not have many loved ones in their lives. Whether that be welcoming into your home, buying them a coffee or introducing them to your group of friends, it is always a major blessing to others when you extend your hand of welcome to them.
- Remember those who have gone through major suffering. Never diminish the hardships one goes through. Try place yourselves in their position and therefore remember them in your thoughts and prayers
- Marriage is something that is to be honored and glorified. Faithfulness to your spouse is also an act of being faithful to God. Do not abuse your role as a husband or wife. We are called to honor one another and therefore we honor God.
- Money is not the root of happiness. We are called to live wisely and even furthermore, be content and thankful for what God has already given. This does not just apply to earthly gains, this applies to God’s blessings in terms of loving us each day and extending His hand of Grace moment by moment. This was shown and given to us on the cross.
God’s Faithfulness towards us (v8)
- God never changes-He remains the same, because of this truth we know that we can always rely on Him to always provide for our needs. Whether our needs are emotional, spiritual or physical, God is the answer to anything we face in life.
[Featured image from biblia.com]