There are a lot of jokes floating around the inter-web about youth pastors. That fact is, youth pastors are a special breed of human beings…..if in fact they really are human beings. In case you are wondering if you are a true youth pastor or if God is calling you to be a youth pastor; please consider the following…..
- You know every off name brand pop and food product ever invented, and for the veteran you remember which store carries which name brand.
- You can successfully identify the difference between Mountain Dew, Mountain Holler, Mountain Lightning, and Mountain Frost.
- You have ever inspired competitive Bible contests by means of making the losing party eat something awful (Pickled pigs feet, hot sauce filled Twinkies, clam juice, or a mixture of various foods found in the church kitchen)
- You have ever injured a youth playing dodge ball
- You have been injured BY a youth playing dodge ball
- You have a an entire vocabulary based on youth ministry issues (purpling, missionary dating, etc.)
- More of your facebook friends are under the age of 18 than over
- You’ve ever been asked any of the following
“so do you have a real job?”
“You get paid to play games?”
“Are you planning on being a real pastor when you get older?” tweet
- You don’t get invited to church counsel, board, or elder meetings, but your ministry is a frequent conversation in any or all of those meetings.
- You consider pranking people to be a ministry of fellowship
- You understand the phrase “married up”
- Can wear a T-shirt from a youth event every day of the week
- You think text messaging is the primary mode of communication in the world
- You can draw lesson illustrations from anything (Nacho Libre, Lost, Inception, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc.)
- You know enough fund raising ideas to solve the economic crisis
This has nothing to do with the post…. I just like flow charts.