There are a lot of jokes floating around the inter-web about youth pastors. That fact is, youth pastors are a special breed of human beings…..if in fact they really are human beings. In case you are wondering if you are a true youth pastor of possible if God is calling you to be a youth pastor; please consider the following…..
1. You know every off name brand pop and food product ever invented, and for the veteran you remember which store carries which name brand.
2. You can successfully identify the difference between Mountain Dew, Mountain Holler, Mountain Lightning, and Mountain Frost.
3. You have ever inspired competitive Bible contests by means of making the losing party eat something awful (Pickled pigs feet, hot sauce filled Twinkies, clam juice, or a mixture of various foods found in the church kitchen)
4. You have ever injured a youth playing dodge ball
5. You have been injured BY a youth playing dodge ball
6. You have a an entire vocabulary based on youth ministry issues (purpling, missionary dating, etc.)
7. More of your facebook friends are under the age of 18 than over
8. You’ve ever been asked any of the following
“so do you have a real job?”
“You get paid to play games?”
“Are you planning on being a real pastor when you get older?”
9. You don’t get invited to church counsel, board, or elder meetings, but your ministry is a frequent conversation in any or all of those meetings.
10. You consider pranking people to be a ministry of fellowship
11. You understand the phrase “married up”
12. Can wear a T-shirt from a youth event every day of the week
13. You think text messaging is the primary mode of communication in the world
14. You can draw lesson illustrations from anything (Nacho Libre, Lost, Inception, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc.)
15. You know enough fund raising ideas to solve the economic crisis